Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Quick red pickle


As I mentioned in the bone marrow post, I served it with some pickled red onions and promised the recipe. Well here it is finally.


Slice up enough red onions to fill the jar you're going to use.


Sterilise your jar and then stuff the onion in to it.

I use the ratio of 3 cups of vinegar (I prefer cider) to 1 cup of sugar for the pickling liquid. So in a pot put enough vinegar to fill the rest of the jar up (and appropriate amount of sugar) with some spices. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.

The spices are really up to you, but I like to use some classics like Bay leaf, cinnamon, chilli flakes, cloves, all spice, star anise, mustard seeds, ginger and cumin.


For this batch I chose chilli flakes, cloves, mustard seeds, coriander and bay leaf .


Fill the Jar up with the liquid, tip it over and tap the top to release any air bubbles.


Let it cool down to room temperature and then refrigerate for at least 12 hours before eating. It will store for about a month.