Friday, June 1, 2012

Dashi with Miso noodles and Hamine egg


Sometimes an idea stays dormant in my head for quite awhile, in fact this one has managed to stick around since august last year. I came across Hamine eggs on a post about hacking electric pressure cookers Dave Arnold had written for Cooking Issues, it was a small part of the whole article but something about those light brown eggs drew me in, I knew I had to try them. The idea got locked away into the ‘will try it eventually’ part of my brain, waiting for something to bring it to the forefront again.

We had a long drive to do a little (as possible) work on a farm in the weekend, I took along Ideas in Food to read on the way up. Flicking my way through, reading what caught my eye, I came across a recipe for miso noodles, they sounded delicious, and then the thought popped into my head, I could make a cool miso soup, where the miso is noodles, I had a bit of Kombu in the pantry to make Dashi with, and had just bought some blond miso. But noodles and Dashi weren’t enough for me, so I was thinking what else to have with it, do I want to take hours cooking pork, or some shredded chicken or fish, I could speed up the pork with the pressure cooker, or eggs! Hamine eggs would be perfect to try with the noodle broth.


Hamine Eggs
Boil eggs for 5 minutes and then cook on high pressure for 50 minutes
Let the pressure drop naturally, otherwise the eggs may explode. They can be done traditionally too, but take 24 hours or so.


Shitake Dashi
2 Litres Water
25 gram Kombu
20 grams Shitake
1 bunch of spring onion


  • Bring the water up to 65°C and steep the Kombu for 1 hour, holding the temperature at 65°C
  • Pulverise the Shitake into a powder with food processor.
  • Simmer the Shitake powder and spring onion (whites and roots, reserve the green part) for 60 minutes.
  • Strain, season with fish sauce and light soy sauce.
Miso Pasta (Ideas in Food)
1 egg
55 grams miso (blond)
225 grams flour
75 grams water
  • Mix the egg, water and miso in a bowl.
  • Pour the flour into another bowl, make a well in the centre and pour the liquid in.
  • Mix together, forming a dough, tip out onto the bench and knead for about 5 minutes.
  • Cover and rest for 30 minutes.
  • Divide the dough in two.
  • Roll out one half using a machine, or by hand.
  • Run through a pasta cutter.
  • Set noodles aside and work on the other half of the dough.
Cook the noodles for a couple of minutes and transfer to a serving bowl, top with a egg cut in half and sliced greens of the spring onion, ladle over the Dashi.