Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Throw together


Not sure if this is really going to be a much of a recipe post. I have been doing a lot of stuff recently where I'm not sure if I should bother sharing it as it seems so simple, so expect a couple of easy ones coming up. I'm quite happy with a dry noodle stir fry I've been working on, lots of black pepper and Sichuan pepper, very moreish and not much too it. So to kick off these easy, kind of what my nights are like at the moment, throw together, haven't done much research, meals, here is pretty much my go to meal when I can't think of what to cook, items switch out here and there but the basis is pretty much the same, salad of some sort, protein, rice, greens, sauce.

The Rice:
Well don't take me as an expert on this, there are better written and researched cooking methods, this works for me and it's easy.
  • Add jasmine rice to a pot, add cold water so it's covered by about an inch.
  • Place on a high heat, when it has begun to boil place a lid on and reduce heat to low. 
  • Time for 9 minutes.
  • Drain quickly, don't be too fussy, and dump the rice back in the pot, put the lid back on.
  • Leave to sit on a board until ready to serve.

The Pork:
This will of course depend on what kind of meat you have, I had some bone off sirloin that were about 20mm thick. The steaks were seasoned both sides with salt and cooked in a hot a cast iron pan with a little peanut oil for about 2 minutes a side, still pink in the middle, set aside on a board to rest. When ready to serve, slice and lay on a bed of odd flavour sauce and sprinkle with roasted peanuts.


The Bok Choy:
Prepare a little dressing first, 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp fish sauce, 1 garlic clove (crushed). Cooking this is dead simple, quarter and rinse the bok choy, after the meat has cooked place the greens in the pan cut side down and cook until browned, turn over and cook a little longer, transfer to a bowl and toss the sauce through.
 


Odd flavour sauce:
I've covered this recipe before.


Celery Salad:
Make up a batch of spicy dressing, cut up about 2 cups worth of celery and toss together.