Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Cookies


We’re not ones to keep ice-creams, cookies, cakes, biscuits and other sweet treats in the house, usually they’re bought with the intention of immediate consumption, and even if we did, I doubt they’d last. So when that sweet tooth craving happens upon me there’s usually nothing at hand, apart from the occasional candy, so I have a couple of go to recipes for a quick and easy sugary treats, cookies and fruit sponge are main culprits. I especially like the cookie solution as I can make up a batch and have a cling-wrapped log of dough in the freezer ready to slice off a few cookies to bake, rather than have a big batch of pre-cooked cookies, knowing my will power the entire batch would get demolished rather than enjoying one or two.

Cookies
300 g Flour
200 g Butter
100 g Sugar
6 g Salt
  • Cream the butter, sugar and salt together. 
  • Mix in the flour. 
  • Roll into a log shape using cling-film. 
  • Refrigerate for half an hour. 
  • Slice discs, thin or thick, up to you, arrange on a sheet pan.
  •  Bake at 180ºC for 10 minutes or so, depending on thickness.


Well that’s the basic cookie recipe, this latest batch I took about 100 grams of “burnt” hazelnut praline I had made a few weeks early and blitzed it until I had a good mixture of powder and chunks and combined that with the dough base. I also sprinkled the sliced cookies with some smoked salt before baking them.