Friday, October 24, 2008

Pumpkin Curry?!

Well, I don't know if I should call this a curry, it may not be, perhaps I should call it a aromatic spicy pumpkin stew. It's pretty quick and easy to whip together, and is great comfort food.

In a blender, put some whole shallots (I added an extra small onion too), chili fresh (however much you like), chili dried (the dried chili gives heat I think, and the fresh flavour), fennel seeds, cumin seed, cinnamon, a clove, garlic (lots!) and turmeric.
Whiz it all up to make a rough paste.

Peel (and a year later, any one know a better way to peel a pumpkin?!) and cube your pumpkin.
Heat a little oil and butter in a pan, when nice and hot put paste mixture in, be warned it's pretty strong on the eyes and nose, so get some ventilation going.

Cook until brown and all broken down, deglaze the pan with a little water to pick up anything that has stuck. Then place the pumpkin in the pan and stir so is all coated in the paste and cook a little while, then add some liquid so it almost covers the pumpkin but not quite (I used chicken stock). Cover the pot and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes until the pumpkin is almost falling apart.

I like to give the mix a little mash, not to a smooth paste though, leave some whole cubes etc, more like turn 1/3 into a thick sauce.

Serve on rice with some diced tomato. Also great in a wrap.