Thursday, August 25, 2011

Books and pizza


Love finding old cook books at thrift shops, latest additions are Graham Kerr's Galloping Gourmet and Pearl L Bailey Foods: preparation and serving, which is more like a 1920s home-economics text book, still a good read and very informative.

On the way thanks to amazon On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee and one I've been wanting to get my hands on for a while Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking by Michael Ruhlman


I Finally bought a stone for the oven, I was pining after was a hefty $100 so I opted for the cheaper $20 model, but will see how often it gets used for bread baking and the like, then I might upgrade. My pizza recipe is here, and I highly recommend going for a mix of fine semolina (flour) and strong wheat flour.